Friday, November 22, 2019

Week 8 Forum



So far in the Lindsey Addario book we have been reading in class, the most compelling chapter has been chapter 9, “The Most Dangerous Place In The World”. In this chapter she is traveling throughout China, Korengal Valley, with the United States Military, taking pictures of the troops at camp, interacting with civilians, and on perimeter walks. This chapter follows her and her partner, Elizabeth Rubin who is secretly pregnant at this time. Later in the Chapter she returns home to her boyfriend and the shock of being in a different environment is difficult for her to deal with. On page 189 she writes, “I walked to the bedroom in the rear of the apartment, closed the door behind me, and collapsed into tears”. The chapter ends with her photos and stories being manipulated and trashed by her editors because of differing perspectives. This chapter was my favorite because it showed more aspects of the job. I felt like it was the most complex, while still staying with the rest of the book. My favorite quote from this chapter was on page 165, saying “ I had always been a loyal friend. Elizabeth reminded me several times a day that I could never utter a word about her pregnancy, and I obliged”. I think it humanizes her.

My favorite photo so far is on page 219. I like this photo because the background looks so remote and alone, but the subjects are real people living in it. It is a very “real” photo without being graphic or very saddening. 
From this book I have learned to always be prepared with enough equipment. Always bring batteries, sim cards, and lenses. This is said throughout the book but is brought up again in chapter 9.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment