Thursday, November 28, 2019

Linsey Addario book report



I quickly fell in love with this book. Linsey Addario’s, “It’s What I Do” is an incredibly compelling heartfelt book. One of my favorite part s was early on in chapter two. It is part of her journey when she first travels to Afghanistan. Her interaction with Mohammed, the embassy employee is very well written. On her first day they didn’t speak, and each time she visits to obtain her travel visa, he becomes a little more comfortable. This scene is so compelling for me because of the contrast to what I’m am accustomed too.In america, there is a more informal atmosphere to everyday tasks, while it is strict there. I also really enjoyed this section because of how respectful Addario was. She was patient and respectful to their culture and traditions, even though they were very different from her normal. I think this ability translates into her work. I would describe her style as very accurate. She was able to make the subjects feel so comfortable with a stranger from a different country. Her people skills were incredible as well as her camera technique. She capture the people or the scenery. She doesn't just take a picture, she captures a moment. It is clear to see this in any of her photos, especially her Pulitzer prize winning photo of the young woman. She has such a drive to document these moments and share them with the world. I can completely understand her drive behind it. I know that I would never be able to do it. She leaves so much behind for her work, her family and various romances, I wouldn't be able to sacrifice as much. I don't think she is crazy by any means, she just lives differently than I would ever be able too. I respect her a lot for this reason.

From this book, I learned that photos should be natural. My only experience to photography before this was getting my senior pictures taken. That was a very posed professional setting. All of her work is genuine and flows well from photo to photo. Early in the book, in chapter two, she is able to photograph a group of Muslim women. They tell her stories and their views on the political climate they live under. Skipping to chapter nine, she is able to document the locals living under warfare while never seaming biased in her work. The photos that convey the most emotion are my favorites. My favorite from her book are on pages 147, 152, 212, 216, 217, and 221. If I had to choose my overall favorite, it would be her photo of Bibi Aisha. It won the Pulitzer Prize, and I can see why. It is a respectful photo, by being a beautiful portrait, but shows as much emotion. You can feel the weight of this photo.



Bibi Aisha, whose husband cut off her nose because she had left their home to seek help. This photo was on the cover of Time magazine. November 2009

The quote from this book that most resonated with me was in the very beginning of the book. In the first paragraph in chapter, she says, “I was only a year and a half old and couldn't swim, so i was standing on my father's shoulders...suddenly, with-out a word, I bent my knees and jumped into the water. My sisters were stunned. My father said he ;et me go because he knew I would be fine. When I emerged from the water, I was smiling”(19). I like this line because it foreshadows the story while giving background information about her at the same time. It sets the tone of her life and becomes more relevant the longer you read. I think it was brilliant to start the story this way. I would definitely recommend this book to others. It is a great read. I love how many emotions you can feel while reading this. It illustrates dangerous countries and a complicated career with such clarity and accuracy. I loved this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment